By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
An Indiana race track has been hit with a cease and desist letter from Indiana officials. Daugherty Speedway in Boswell, Indiana wanted to race even though Indiana is dealing with stay-at-home orders due to the global coronavirus pandemic.
Daugherty Speedway was planning on having an event this Saturday. However, as of Friday night, that event is now off.
The cease and desist letter said that the track is not an essential business. The letter said that the track was doing business as of May 6th.
The authorities have even blocked off the road to this business so that the owners cannot get to the property.
“We regret to inform you that we have exhausted all options to race on Saturday May 9, 2020, and will be cancelling the event based on our legal counsels recommendation,” the track said in a post on Facebook. “We have received the attached Cease and Desist letter from the Indiana State Department of Health. We are extremely sorry that we aren’t able to operate the race track this Saturday. We did everything possible to make the event happen.
“We will be refunding 100% of any monies paid. There have been several individuals that wanted to use it to donate, but it is easier if we refund 100% of the fees at once through our ticket processor. Thank you to everyone that stood behind us while we attempted to open up.”
The facility also mentioned that they will attempt to work with the governor’s office before a summer start.
“We will also continue to work closely with the Governors team to discuss opening earlier than July 4, 2020,” the track also said on Facebook.
The owners previously claimed that their constitutional rights were being violated by not allowing the track to be open. The May 9th event was reportedly a sell out before it was cancelled.
While Daugherty Speedway is not allowed to race, other tracks around the country are starting to open up and hold events. Many of these events are being held with no fans or limited fans In attendance.