The Chicago Bears have decided that they will not re-sign running back Matt Forté. He announced their decision on Instagram on Friday.
The 30-year-old back will now become a free agent in March. He’ll be able to sign anywhere once the open market starts.
“Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end,” Forté said. “I was informed earlier this week from the GM [Ryan Pace] that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency.
“I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I’m excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!”
Forté trails only Walter Payton in many statistical categories. He had 8,602 yards and averaged 4.2 yards per carry with 45 touchdowns.
He also had 487 receptions for 4,116 yards and 19 touchdowns.
“We recently met with Matt to inform him we will not extend a contract offer for the 2016 season,” Pace said in a statement. “These decisions are never easy, especially given what Matt has meant to our team and community. We have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Matt is one of the all-time great Bears and did an excellent job for us on and off the field last season.
“He was a tremendous teammate. We thank him for his professionalism and wish him the very best as he continues his career.”
Any Corrections?. You can contact Anthony Caruso III, Publisher at email@example.com.
©2007-2018 The Capital Sports Report. Please honor copyright! Piracy hurts writers, devalues their works, and puts you and your employer at risk of lawsuits. All original materials contained on this website are protected by the United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcasted without the prior written permission.