The Boston College Eagles played the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Fenway Park in Nov. However, the Eagles have declined an opportunity to play the UCONN Huskies at the facility this year.
According to the Boston Herald, the Eagles have turned down an offer from the Boston Red Sox to play their Nov. 19 game against the Huskies at Fenway Park. At last year’s game with the Fighting Irish, there were ticket allocation concerns, according to the story, as well as concerns over sight lines and the tailgating atmosphere.
Those problems cannot be easily fixed, according to the report. Yet, the Fighting Irish defeated the Eagles, 19-16, despite having five turnovers in the game.
The rejection is because the Eagles will play a home game in Ireland and will have only six home games. The university administration reportedly do not want to go below that number.
“Boston College often receives requests to play home games at venues ranging from Gillette Stadium to Fenway Park,’’ Athletic Director Brad Bates said. “We have consistently stated that we will consider the possibility only if it is more beneficial for our team, students, and fans, and only during those years in which we still have at least six games in Alumni Stadium. As a result, playing at Fenway Park during the 2016 season was never an option.’’
The Eagles are reportedly paying the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets $900,000 to play at the Are Lingus College Football Classic in Dublin, Ireland on Sept. 3.
Once they get back from Ireland, they’re going to be a “visiting” team at Gillette Stadium against the University of Mass. Amherst.
With their loss to the Fighting Irish, they appear to be one and done at Fenway Park for now, according to the story. While the Eagles were the home team in the Shamrock Series, the Fighting Irish really were the home team as they hosted the game on national television — and the Eagles were only allowed 5,000 of the 38,686 tickets.
The Eagles were also competing on the field that said “Notre Dame.” If they played the Huskies or another team without that prominent audience, they would get the home team billing, like they were supposed to get in Nov.
“Given the positive feedback we received on last November’s Shamrock Series, the Red Sox would love to see a return of BC football to Fenway Park in the near future,” Sox president Sam Kennedy said. “We have extended the invitation for BC to return whenever it works for their schedule.”
Any Corrections?. You can contact Anthony Caruso III, Publisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2007-2018 The Capital Sports Report. Please honor copyright! Piracy hurts writers, devalues their works, and puts you and your employer at risk of lawsuits. All original materials contained on this website are protected by the United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcasted without the prior written permission.