By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has been suspended for the first six games of the 2017 season. Instead of waiting three days to file an appeal, he immediately appealed the suspension.
Elliott was suspended by the NFL for an alleged incident involving an ex-girlfriend back in Ohio. According to the league, they interviewed more than a dozen witnesses, including Tiffany Thompson, the alleged victim.
“Over the course of the last year, the league conducted an extensive investigation,” the league statement said. “League investigators interviewed more than a dozen witnesses, including Ms. Tiffany Thompson, who had alleged multiple instances of physical violence in July 2016, and Mr. Elliott.
“The league also consulted with medical experts. League investigators examined all available evidence, including photographic and digital evidence, thousands of text messages and other records of electronic communications.”
Elliott, the second-year star, has been suspended under the personal conduct policy. The NFL’s statement also said that commissioner Roger Goodell enlisted the help of four external advisors before making his decision.
The four, along with Goodell, had a meeting in New York City on June 26, 2017, which also included Elliott. The running back also had his counsel and the NFL Players Association at the meeting.
Elliott recently received a letter with the decision. “[These advisors] were of the view that there is substantial and persuasive evidence supporting a finding that [Elliott] engaged in physical violence against Ms. Thompson on multiple occasions during the week of July 16, 2016.”
The Elliott camp is alleging he did nothing wrong. Even owner Jerry Jones has been steadfast behind his second-year star.
“We just learned of the NFL’s decision to suspend Mr. Elliott for six games for allegedly engaging in “physical force” against the accuser,” his agent said. “Mr. Elliott and his team of representatives are extremely disappointed with the NFL’s decision. Our offices have been engaged in this matter since last July and have worked hand-in-hand with the Columbus Prosecutor’s office as well as the NFL with their respective investigators. Accordingly, we are fully aware of the full body of evidence that exists in connection to this matter.
“The NFL’s findings are replete with factual inaccuracies and erroneous conclusions and it ‘cherry picks’ so called evidence to support its conclusion while ignoring other critical evidence. For example, both the Columbus Prosecutor’s office as well as the NFL investigators expressly concluded and conveyed to our office (and others) that the accuser was lying about an alleged July 22, 2016 incident whereby she accused Mr. Elliott of pulling her out of her car and assaulting her. An allegation that was ultimately undermined by her own friend’s affidavit, which stated that no such assault occurred. This affidavit also outlined the accuser’s plan to orchestrate a story to police in order to corroborate her false allegation of assault. In addition, the NFL’s own medical experts concluded that many of her injuries predated the week in question and likely occurred during a period of time when Mr. Elliott was not in contact with the accuser. During the upcoming weeks and through the appeal, a slew of additional credible and controverting evidence will come to light.”
Any Corrections?. You can contact Anthony at email@example.com.
Any Corrections?. You can contact Anthony Caruso III, Publisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2007-2018 The Capital Sports Report. Please honor copyright! Piracy hurts writers, devalues their works, and puts you and your employer at risk of lawsuits. All original materials contained on this website are protected by the United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcasted without the prior written permission.