Advertisements
Latest News

Chargers owner Spanos’ wife Faye dies at 92

Follow The Capital Sports Report on WordPress.com

Follow us: @CapSportsReport on Twitter | The Capital Sports Report on Facebook

By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher

According to a family statement published by the Los Angeles Chargers, owner Alex Spanos’ wife has passed away. She was 92-years-old.

Faye Spanos was married to Mr. Spanos since 1948. She was the grandmother to 15 grandchildren.

“Faye Spanos’ Greek name ‘Fotini’ derives from the Greek word for light,” the statement said. “And throughout her life, Faye has been the light and rock for Alex and for her family.

“As their family grew and their business prospered, Faye shared their good fortune first with their large extended families and then with their community. Faye’s generosity and kindness matched her husband’s, and together they made donations benefiting schools, children, the arts, hospitals, and people in need.”

Mr. Spanos has been the owner of the Chargers franchise since 1984. In 2016, he moved the Chargers from San Diego to Los Angeles.

He had an opportunity to purchase 60% (a majority stake) in the San Diego Chargers from former owner Eugene Klein for $48.3 million in 1984. Following his purchase, he was able to bring in several more small co-owners but was able to take 97% of the ownership in the team by 1994. George Pernicano, the San Diego restaurateur, held the other 3% in the team until his death in October 2016.

Spanos’ son Dean ran the day-to-day operations of the team since his father bought the team. In 2015, the Chargers were valued at $995 million by Forbes.

Mr. Spanos founded A.G. Spanos Companies in 1960. By 1977, it was the largest apartment builder in the United States. It is located in Stockton, California with 10 subsidiaries.

Advertisements

Any Corrections?. You can contact Anthony Caruso III, Publisher at publisher@thecapitalsportsreport.com.

 

Follow us: @CapSportsReport on Twitter | The Capital Sports Report on Facebook

 

©2007-2018 The Capital Sports Report. Please honor copyright! Piracy hurts writers, devalues their works, and puts you and your employer at risk of lawsuits. All original materials contained on this website are protected by the United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcasted without the prior written permission.

About Anthony Caruso III (8734 Articles)
Anthony Caruso III is the Publisher of The Capital Sports Report.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.