By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Infinite Hero Foundation Funny Car pilot Jack Beckman is the provisional No. 1 qualifier on Friday night at the NHRA Toyota Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada. Beckman used his first qualifying pass to claim the top spot after the first day of the event.
Beckman went 3.922 at 327.19 mph to lead the Funny Car category. He is looking for his third straight No. 1 qualifier at this event.
“We have missed the mark too many times in the Countdown to be a contender for the championship,” said Beckman. “But it is so gratifying to know that every time I drive into the racetrack, Friday, Saturday or Sunday, I have a car capable of running as good as everybody else and we proved that today.”
Advance Auto Parts Funny Car pilot Courtney Force is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.926 at 328.46 mph.
AAA of Southern California Funny Car pilot Robert Hight is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.927 at 328.38 mph.
Make-A-Wish Foundation Funny Car pilot Tommy Johnson Jr. is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Avon, Indiana native went 3.928 at 324.28 mph.
Peak Antifreeze Funny Car pilot John Force is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.939 at 330.23 mph.
Here’s how the rest of the field panned out:
6. Tim Wilkerson, Ford Mustang, 3.961, 320.28 mph
7. Cruz Pedregon, Toyota Camry, 3.968, 323.04 mph
8. Shawn Langdon, Camry, 3.969, 321.27 mph
9. Bob Tasca III, Mustang, 3.970, 319.52 mph
10. Ron Capps, Charger, 4.009, 323.58 mph
11. Matt Hagan, Charger, 4.022, 320.13 mph
12. Jonnie Lindberg, Mustang, 4.050, 314.24 mph
13. Jim Campbell, Charger, 4.054, 312.06 mph
14. Richard Townsend, Camry, 4.060, 308.50 mph
15. Bob Bode, Mustang, 4.253, 265.74 mph
16. J.R. Todd, Camry, 4.301, 225.33 mph
Presently, there are two Funny Car drivers, who are not qualified. Gary Densham is the No. 17 qualified driver, as he went 4.415 at 202.55 mph.
Jeff Arend is presently the No. 18 qualified driver, as he went 5.828 at 117.89 mph.