Wilkerson leads Funny Car on Friday at 2019 Denso Four-Wide in Vegas
By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Levi, Ray, and Shoup Inc. Funny Car pilot Tim Wilkerson is the provisional Funny Car pilot on Friday night. He will lead the Funny Car field into qualifying on Saturday at the 20th annual DENSO Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Wilkerson went 3.895 at 323.50 mph during the second qualifying session. If his number holds up on Saturday, it’ll be his first No. 1 qualifier since Bristol in 2017.
“We do spend a lot of time looking at our parts,” Wilkerson said. “I think that makes our car as good as it is, everywhere we take it. It’s easy to be good at sea-level but when you can go from Gainesville to here, that’s proof that my guys do a good job making all my parts close to the same and I can turn a knob and put a head gasket on it and it actually acts the same. I think it’s just a good job that all my guys are doing. They make it easy for me to do what I do.”
NAPA Auto Parts Funny Car pilot Ron Capps is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Carlsbad, California native went 3.897 at 325.92 mph.
Reigning Funny Car Champion J.R. Todd is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Indianapolis, Indiana native, who is sponsored by DHL, went 3.919 at 323.04 mph.
Mopar/Pennzoil sponsored Funny Car pilot Matt Hagan is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Christiansburg, Virginia native went 3.924 at 327.03 mph.
Motorcraft/Quick Lane sponsored Funny Car pilot Bob Tasca II is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Hope, Rhode Island native went 3.928 at 318.77 mph.
The rest of the Funny Car field panned out like this on Friday:
6. Shawn Langdon, Camry, 3.931, 324.67
7. John Force, Chevy Camaro, 3.946, 320.74
8. Cruz Pedregon, Charger, 3.950, 322.11
9. Jack Beckman, Charger, 3.956, 321.27
10. Robert Hight, Camaro, 3.962, 323.97
11. Tommy Johnson Jr., Charger, 3.968, 316.15
12. Jim Campbell, Charger, 4.044, 313.00
13. Phil Burkart, Charger, 4.084, 298.40
14. Terry Haddock, Mustang, 4.264, 287.84
15. Gary Densham, Mustang, 4.382, 300.66
16. Jeff Diehl, Camry, 4.382, 228.85.
17. Jonnie Lindberg, 4.872, 163.33.