By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Ron Capps’ hot streak in the NAPA Brakes livery continues. He is the provisional leader on Friday night at the Route 66 NHRA Nationals at Route 66 Raceway in Elwood, Illinois.
Capps will attempt to become the No. 1 qualifier on Saturday for the event. He went 3.893 at 326.00 mph to claim the top spot.
“To go No. 1 in the first session and have it hold was pretty cool,” said Capps. “In the first run, I actually shut off about a car length early so it was on a little bit better run. Then in the next session, (Rahn) Tobler (crew chief) kept coming back and de-tuning it. In the end, he just made it so it would just go down the track.”
Reigning Funny Car Champion J.R. Todd is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Lawrenceburg, Indiana native went 3.907 at 327.74 mph.
Global Electronic Technology Funny Car pilot Shawn Langdon — who won his first Funny Car win in Charlotte in April — is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Indianapolis, Indiana native went 3.938 at 327.90 mph.
Infinite Hero Foundation Funny Car pilot Jack Beckman is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Norco, California native went 3.940 at 325.92 mph.
Make-A-Wish Foundation Funny Car pilot Tommy Johnson Jr. is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Avon, Indiana native went 3.951 at 322.04 mph.
The rest of the field panned out like this:
6) Blake Alexander, Ford Mustang, 3.959, 325.22 mph
7) Bob Tasca III, Mustang, 3.973, 316.15 mph
8) John Force, Chevy Camaro, 3.973, 301.40 mph
9) Tim Wilkerson, Mustang, 3.983, 318.09 mph
10) Jeff Arend, Mustang, 3.985, 321.12 mph
11) Cruz Pedregon, Charger, 4.003, 311.49 mph
12) Matt Hagan, Charger, 4.004, 318.24 mph
13) Robert Hight, Camaro, 4.032, 258.67 mph
14) Jim Campbell, Charger, 4.055, 314.75 mph
15) Justin Schriefer, Charger, 4.056, 305.01 mph
16) Paul Lee, Charger, 4.061, 312.42 mph
17) Dale Creasy Jr., 4.085, 308.07 mph
18) Bob Bode, 4.159, 297.94 mph
19) Terry Haddock, 7.940, 87.99 mph