By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
DHL Funny Car pilot J.R. Todd is the provisional No. 1 qualifier on Friday at the 31st annual Menards NHRA Heartland Nationals presented by Minties at Heartland Motorsports Park in Topeka, Kansas. Todd went 3.924 at 318.99 mph.
He is looking for his first No. 1 qualifier of the season.
“It was a good run. We came back afterwards and Todd [Smith] and John O [Oberhofer] said it ran better than what they expected it to. That was a good rebound after Q1 when we were pretty conservative and just spun the tires about half track. Nice bounce back for the yellow fellows.
The track is always good here and the Kalitta’s, their track record is really good. Tomorrow we’ll go to work on our race-day set-up and hopefully that .92 will hold up. Either way, that should keep us in the top five which is usually where you want to be going into Sunday.”
Levi, Ray, and Shoup Inc.’s Funny Car pilot Tim Wilkerson is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Springfield, Illinois native went 3.931 at 318.54 mph.
Living legend John Force is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.938 at 323.27 mph.
Make A Wish Foundation pilot Tommy Johnson Jr. is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Avon, Indiana native went 3.948 at 316.60 mph.
NAPA Auto Parts pilot Ron Capps is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Carlsbad, California native went 3.952 at 317.19 mph.
The rest of the field panned out like this:
6. Bob Tasca III, Mustang, 3.953, 310.27 mph
7. Matt Hagan, Charger, 3.987, 319.60 mph
8. Shawn Langdon, Camry, 3.994, 318.02 mph
9. Jack Beckman, Charger, 4.018, 319.14 mph
10. Cruz Pedregon, Charger, 4.028, 312.50 mph
11. Jim Campbell, Charger, 4.163, 298.67 mph
12. Terry Haddock, Mustang, 4.169, 291.26 mph
13. Robert Hight, Camaro, 4.288, 216.55 mph
14. Dale Creasy Jr., Charger, 6.483, 112.23 mph
15. Jack Wyatt, Charger, 7.466, 94.15 mph