By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Kalitta Motorsports Top Fuel Dragster pilot Doug Kalitta is the provisional No. 1 qualifier on Friday at the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway in Bristol, Tennessee. Kalitta went 3.755 at 324.67 mph in his second qualifying session to claim the provisional lead.
Kalitta is looking for his first No. 1 qualifier of the season. In addition, he is looking for his second win of the season.
“We are always excited to come here,” Kalitta said. “I remember coming here when I was working on Connie’s (Kalitta, team owner) cars back in the ‘80s so it’s a lot of cool history coming here just for me. It was a nice run though. It’s been awhile since we were low qualifier any of the days. I’m real proud of my guys though. We’re working our tails off to try and make it happen.”
Mopar/Pennzoil sponsored pilot Leah Pritchett is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Avon, Indiana native went 3.757 at 323.04 mph.
Capco Contractors sponsored pilot Steve Torrence is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Kilgore, Texas native went 3.768 at 326.00 mph.
Matco Tools sponsored pilot Antron Brown is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Pittsboro, Indiana native went 3.768 at 325.14 mph.
Scrappers Racing sponsored pilot Mike Salinas is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The San Jose, California went 3.774 at 325.69 mph.
The rest of the provisional field went like this:
6. Austin Prock, 3.783, 325.92 mph
7. Brittany Force, 3.790, 325.45 mph
8. Terry McMillen, 3.795, 312.78 mph
9. Richie Crampton, 3.807, 320.13 mph
10. Dom Lagana, 3.811, 323.58 mph
11. Scott Palmer, 3.834, 311.77 mph
12. Clay Millican, 3.837, 316.30 mph
13. Pat Dakin, 4.080, 219.72 mph
14. Audrey Worm, 4.978, 144.50 mph
15. Lex Joon, 5.361, 130.17 mph
16. Cameron Ferre, 11.244, 69.28 mph