By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
NAPA Auto Parts Funny Car pilot Ron Capps is the provisional leader on Friday at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals. Capps went 3.879 at 329.18 to claim the top spot at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio.
Capps will hope that his time holds up on Saturday to become the No. 1 qualifier.
“Those are great conditions,” Capps said. “[Rahn] Tobler probably came back to the car more times than he ever has making adjustments. Conditions here are always good when the sun goes down. He put the rear spoiler down. All kinds of things that are outside of his normal routine. It was great to see that we were either going to go to the pole or smoke the tires. That’s always fun. It actually got out there and move hard to the right on me. I thought it had a cylinder out for a second.
“I turned the street wheel to the left and it came back. Ran to the finish line thinking it was going to be an okay run and they came on the radio saying it was 3.87. That was a big sigh of relief. That was a fun session to watch. To see all the cars keep throwing down and throwing down. By the time we got up there we weren’t even in the top half. I should be a little overcast tomorrow but you never know. It could cool off enough and we could see conditions get good enough that you could run a high 3.80 [Saturday]. I hope not. I hope it’s sunny and 97 degrees out [Saturday].”
Living legend John Force is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.884 at 329.02 mph.
Infinite Hero Foundation Funny Car pilot Jack Beckman is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Norco, California native went 3.915 at 329.26 mph.
Pronto Auto Center Funny Car pilot Blake Alexander is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Charlotte, North Carolina native went 3.921 at 314.39 mph.
Reigning Funny Car champion J.R. Todd is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Lawrenceburg, Indiana native went 3.927 at 324.90 mph.
The rest of the field panned out like this:
6. Tommy Johnson Jr., Charger, 3.928, 326.40 mph
7. Bob Tasca III, Mustang, 3.931, 324.44 mph
8. Tim Wilkerson, Mustang, 3.935, 323.04 mph
9. Robert Hight, Camaro, 3.938, 297.81 mph
10. Paul Lee, Charger, 3.954, 324.51 mph
11. Matt Hagan, Charger, 3.975, 325.22 mph
12. Shawn Langdon, Camry, 4.009, 317.05 mph
13. Dale Creasy Jr., Charger, 4.030, 317.19 mph
14. Bob Bode, Mustang, 4.099, 280.02 mph
15. Jim Campbell, Charger, 4.108, 309.56 mph
16. Jeff Diehl, Camry, 4.231, 249.21 mph
17. Terry Haddock, 4.284, 290.01 mph
18. Jonnie Lindberg, 4.561, 184.90 mph
19. Cruz Pedregon, 8.462, 75.36 mph
20. Mike McIntire Jr., 10.326, 82.12 mph