By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
New bike. No problem.
Screamin’ Eagle Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Andrew Hines is the provisional No. ! qualifier on Friday at the 40th annual Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals presented by Pennzoil. The Brownsburg, Indiana native went 7.232 at 186.20 mph to claim the provisional lead at Bandimere Speedway in Morrison, Colorado.
Hines, along with his teammates Eddie Krawiec and Angelle Sampey, debuted the FXDR this weekend.
“With our new Harley-Davidson FXDR we had good expectations based on all the testing we did at Indy,” Hines said. “I made a half-track run on Eddie’s bike, and it was a bad run but we could see potential to be low for that session was fantastic. A lot of hard work went into getting these bikes to this point.
“I love coming here to Bandimere Speedway. It’s like coming home. I made my debut here in 2002 and every time I come to this track, I have great memories. [Track owner] John Bandimere comes up and welcomes me. It goes back to when my dad and brother raced here. We’ve also run well up here and won multiple times on the mountain. It was a little nerve wracking to bring a new body here. I’ve had a different level of stress than I’m used to but so far it’s working out. If we see the 80-degree temperatures we’re expecting tomorrow that will be a game changer. We’d love to beat the [7.111] track record or maybe even see the first 190-mph run up here.”
Hector Arana is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Milltown, Indiana went 7.232 at 184.65 mph.
Hector Arana Jr. is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The East Northport, New York native went 7.240 at 183.47 mph.
Reigning Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Matt Smith is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The King, North Carolina native went 7.247 at 185.64 mph.
White Alligator Racing’s Jerry Savoie is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Cut Off, Louisiana native went 7.265 at 182.33 mph.
The rest of the provisional field looked like this:
6. Eddie Krawiec, Harley-Davidson, 7.283, 185.05 mph
7. Angelle Sampey, Harley-Davidson, 7.290, 184.62 mph
8. Angie Smith, EBR, 7.311, 183.97 mph
9. Karen Stoffer, Suzuki, 7.312, 182.62 mph
10. Scotty Pollacheck, EBR, 7.318, 182.23 mph
11. Cory Reed, EBR, 7.354, 181.52 mph
12. Eiji Kawakami, EBR, 7.421, 180.24 mph
13. Joey Gladstone, EBR, 7.425, 180.91 mph
14. Jim Underdahl, Suzuki, 7.464, 179.47 mph
15. Kelly Clontz, Suzuki, 7.499, 179.14 mph
16. Ryan Oehler, EBR, 7.608, 182.35 mph
17. Andie Rawlings, 7.833, 168.39 mph
18. Jianna Salinas, 8.748, 106.19 mph
19. Michael Ray, 12.002, 66.43 mph