By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Mopar sponsored Funny Car Matt Hagan is the provisional No. 1 qualifier on Friday at the 38th annual Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals. The Christiansburg, Virginia native went 3.890 at 328.46 mph at Brainerd International Raceway in Brainerd, Minnesota.
Hagan is looking to get his first No. 1 qualifier of the season. If his time holds on, it’ll be his 35th No. 1 qualifier of his career.
“Rolling here and having two great laps off the bat, there’s a lot of confidence right now,” Hagan said. “The car was digging early, and I knew it was on a good run but you’re trying not to oversteer it either and let it settle back into the groove. Dickie (Venables, Crew Chief) has a lot of confidence in the combo that we’ve got; the window’s a lot bigger right now and this is the momentum we need to head into the countdown.”
Infinite Hero Foundation Funny Car pilot Jack Beckman is the No. 2 qualifier. The Norco, California native went 3.908 at 325.53 mph.
AAA of Southern California Funny Car pilot Robert Hight is the No. 3 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.924 at 326.48 mph.
Global Electronic Technology sponsored Funny Car pilot Shawn Langdon is the No. 4 qualifier. The Indianapolis, Indiana native went 3.935 at 318.02 mph.
NAPA Auto Parts sponsored Funny Car pilot Ron Capps is the No. 5 qualifier. The Carlsbad, California native went 3.936 at 321.04 mph.
The rest of the provisional field looks like this:
6. Bob Tasca III, Ford Mustang, 3.950, 322.96 mph
7. Jonnie Lindberg, Mustang, 3.963, 322.65 mph
8. John Force, Camaro, 3.963, 319.37 mph
9. Paul Lee, Charger, 3.969, 318.69 mph
10. Tommy Johnson Jr., Charger, 3.995, 316.52 mph
11. Tim Wilkerson, Mustang, 4.030, 300.93 mph
12. Bob Bode, Mustang, 4.038, 311.05 mph
13. Terry Haddock, Mustang, 4.076, 277.32 mph
14. Jim Campbell, Charger, 4.304, 231.20 mph
15. Dale Creasy Jr., Charger, 4.341, 234.49 mph
16. J.R. Todd, Camry, 4.555, 181.81 mph
17. Cruz Pedregon, 6.077, 108.98 mph