By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
MOHNTON, PA — NAPA Auto Parts Funny Car pilot Ron Capps set both ends of the track record on Friday. He is the provisional No. 1 qualifier with a 3.837 at 339.28 mph at the Mopar Express Lane NHRA Nationals presented by Pennzoil at Maple Grove Raceway in Mohnton, Pennsylvania.
“We knew there was a lot there,” Capps said. “Then we saw an high .80 (run) by (Bob) Tasca and a couple 90s and it paid off being at the back of the pack. We have the new Hellcat body and we really trimmed it out. We really did a lot of things because we ran so good the first lap. It really gave us the chance to try to see what we could do, not just here, but at other Countdown races.”
Ford Motorcraft/Quick Lane Funny Car Pilot Bob Tasca III is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Cranston, Rhode Island native went 3.898 at 335.32 mph.
Make-A-Wish Foundation Funny Car Pilot Tommy Johnson Jr. is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. He went 3.905 at 326.95 mph.
Reigning Funny Car Champion J.R. Todd is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. He went 3.916 at 314.17 mph.
Mopar sponsored Funny Car Pilot Matt Hagan is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. Bs went 3.940 at 329.75 mph.
The rest of the provisional field looks like this:
6) Terry Haddock, 4.094 at 303.37 mph
7) Jim Campbell, 4.427 at 223.69 mph
8) Robert Hight, 4.436 at 285.65 mph
9) Mike McIntire Jr., 4.708 at 176.21 mph
10) Tim Wilkerson, 5.070 at 169.08 mph
11) Jack Beckman, 5.761 at 133.10 mph
12) Mike Smith, 7.192 at 111.19 mph
13) Jonnie Lindberg, 7.338 at 89.29 mph
14) John Force, 8.116 at 79.95 mph
15) Cruz Pedregon, 8.263 at 86.09 mph
16) John Smith, 8.690 at 77.46 mph