By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Infinite Hero Foundation Funny Car pilot Jack Beckman is the provisional No. 1 qualifier on Friday at zMAX Dragway in Concord, North Carolina. The Norco, California native went 3.873 at 334.07 mph at the 2019 NHRA Carolina Nationals.
If his time holds up, it’ll be his second No. 1 qualifier of the season. In addition, it’ll be his 26th No. 1 qualifier of his career.
“I was a little surprised at the E.T.,” Beckman said. “We did a lot of things at the last minute there. (John) Medlen (Crew Chief) will get on the radio and say, ‘Here’s the deal. There’s a couple bald spots; we are going to put you over on the right side of the lane.’ He says, ‘You can’t let the car get to the right anymore. You’ve got to drive it back over toward the middle.’ The point is, I just didn’t get to enjoy any part of that run. It just didn’t feel that fast to me because I was thinking so much about the things that I needed to do right. And when the 87 came up there it was awesome.
“We were in and we were in solid. There’s no way I thought that was going to hold simply because you had six more pairs of cars behind us that just saw what the race track was capable of.”
AAA sponsored Funny Car pilot Robert Hight is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.878 at 334.07 mph.
NAPA Auto Parts Funny Car pilot Ron Capps is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Carlsbad, California native went 3.882 at 330.55 mph.
Living legend John Force is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.890 at 331.45 mph.
Mopar sponsored Funny Car pilot Matt Hagan is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Christiansburg, Virginia native went 3.906 at 328.22 mph.
The rest of the provisional field looks like this:
6) Bob Tasca III, Ford Mustang, 3.939, 324.20 mph
7) Tim Wilkerson, Mustang, 3.945, 318.99 mph
8) J.R. Todd, Toyota Camry, 3.972, 308.43 mph
9) Cruz Pedregon, Charger, 3.976, 326.08 mph
10) Jim Campbell, Charger, 3.988, 316.75 mph
11) Jonnie Lindberg, Mustang, 4.000, 322.50 mph
12) Dave Richards, Mustang, 4.071, 297.16 mph
13) Mike McIntire, Camry, 4.219, 256.99 mph
14) Tommy Johnson Jr., Charger, 4.233, 219.08 mph
15) Dale Creasy Jr., Charger, 4.598, 182.11 mph
16) Terry Haddock, Mustang, 5.442, 127.92 mph
17) Shawn Langdon, 5.871, 121.08 mph
18) Bob Gilbertson, 7.810, 88.09 mph