By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
PEAK Antifreeze sponsored Funny Car pilot John Force is the provisional No. 1 qualifier at the AAA Texas NHRA FallNationals. The living legend went 3.834 at 337.33 mph at the Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Texas.
The 337.33 mph is a career-best for the 70-year-old, who is in the hunt for his 17th Championship. If his number holds up on Saturday, it’ll be his fifth No. 1 qualifier of the season.
In addition, if it does hold up, it’ll be his 160th No. 1 qualifier of his career.
“They stepped it up and they’ve given me a great race car, and I’m excited about that,” J. Force said. “We’ve got a fast car and my team is really good. I love being here and I’ve got to give credit to my guys. They make it happen and we’re having fun. I’m just having a ball.”
AAA sponsored Funny Car pilot Robert Hight is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Yorba Linda, California native went 3.851 at 335.07 mph.
DHL sponsored Funny Car pilot J.R. Todd is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Indianapolis, Indiana native went 3.866 at 334.40 mph.
NAPA Auto Parts Funny Car pilot Ron Capps is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Carlsbad, California native went 3.881 at 332.43 mph.
Ford Motorcraft/Quick Lane Funny Car pilot Bob Tasca III is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Hope, Rhode Island native went 3.883 at 327.90 mph.
The rest of the provisional field looks like this:
6. Matt Hagan, Charger, 3.890, 310.77 mph
7. Paul Lee, Charger, 3.912, 316.08 mph
8. Tommy Johnson Jr., Charger, 3.920, 324.44 mph
9. Shawn Langdon, Camry, 3.921, 326.08 mph
10. Blake Alexander, Mustang, 3.925, 327.11 mph
11. Jack Beckman, Charger, 3.937, 327.11 mph
12. Jonnie Lindberg, Mustang, 3.963, 321.12 mph
13. Tim Wilkerson, Mustang, 4.048, 244.65 mph
14. Terry Haddock, Mustang, 4.167, 237.34 mph
15. Cruz Pedregon, Charger, 4.289, 216.03 mph
16. Todd Simpson, Charger, 4.298, 250.60 mph
17. Jim Campbell, 4.526, 188.62 mph
18. Jeff Arend, 4.781, 173.32 mph