By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Mopar/Pennzoil sponsored Funny Car pilot Matt Hagan is the provisional leader in his category on Friday at the Auto Clubs NHRA Finals. He went 3.872 at 33.58 mph at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona in Pomona, California.
The Christiansburg, Virginia native had the quickest time of both Funny Car passes. He picked up eight qualifying points to get closer to points leader Robert Hight.
If his time is able to hold up, it’ll be his second No. 1 qualifier of the season. And if he is the No. 1 qualifier on Saturday, it’ll be his 35th in his career.
“Obviously the car is really running strong and we’ve had a great race car the last couple of races,” said Hagan. “We were able to capitalize on the points today and I’m proud of Dickie Venables, Mike Knudsen, and Alex Conway. They’re putting a real good racecar beneath me. The car is running great, my lights are good, so we’re just digging. It’s be hard not to have confidence coming off of two straight race wins and going low for both sessions here in Pomona.”
Levi, Ray, and Shoup Inc.’s Funny Car pilot Tim Wilkerson is the provisional No. 2 qualifier. The Springfield, Illinois native went 3.876 at 327.43 mph.
Global Electronic Technology Funny Car pilot Shawn Langdon — who is reportedly in his final Funny Car race — is the provisional No. 3 qualifier. The Indianapolis, Indiana native went 3.893 at 330.80 mph.
Make-A-Wish Foundation Funny Car pilot Tommy Johnson Jr. is the provisional No. 4 qualifier. The Avon, Indiana native went 3.945 at 319.82 mph.
Infinite Hero Foundation Funny Car pilot Jack Beckman is the provisional No. 5 qualifier. The Norco, California native went 3.949 at 326.16 mph.
The rest of the provisional ladder looked like this:
6. Cruz Pedregon, Charger, 3.967, 320.28 mph
7. Blake Alexander, Mustang, 4.017, 304.74 mph
8. Jeff Arend, Chevy Monte Carlo, 4.099, 278.69 mph
9. Steven Densham, Mustang, 4.129, 289.57 mph
10. John Force, Chevy Camaro, 4.185, 292.65 mph
11. Ron Capps, Charger, 4.229, 219.76 mph
12. Robert Hight, Camaro, 4.354, 306.05 mph
13. Paul Lee, Charger, 4.491, 185.64 mph
14. J.R. Todd, Camry, 6.020, 112.21 mph
15. Terry Haddock, Mustang, 6.085, 111.87 mph
16. Bob Tasca III, Mustang, 6.117, 109.91 mph
17. Jonnie Lindberg, 7.377, 81.26 mph
18. Jim Campbell, 8.051, 83.37 mph