Brawl ends Kansas-KSU game

By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher

There was a horrible ending to the Kansas Jayhawks and the Kansas State Wildcats game on Tuesday night. The two teams brawled with each other.

The Jayhawks won the contest, 81-60, at Allen Fieldhouse, but the game will not be remembered for the score. It will be remembered for the acts that closed out the game.

A fight between players spills into the crowd during the second half between the Kansas Jayhawks and the Kansas State Wildcats
A fight between players spills into the crowd during the second half between the Kansas Jayhawks and the Kansas State Wildcats (Photo by the Associated Press/Orlin Wagner)

Punches were thrown as the two teams went into the stands. It was a blackeye for the sport, as both teams, including the benches, rushed to their teammates aid.

As the broadcasters said, “This is not necessary.” Silvio De Sousa, Jayhawks junior, nearly went WWE by grabbing a chair and attempted to hit others with it before the chair was ripped out of his hairs from behind by assistant coaches.

“Without knowing exactly everything that went down, it was obvious to me that we played a role in what transpired and there will be penalties for that,” Jayhawks coach Bill Self, who was already shaking hands with Kansas State counterpart Bruce Weber when the chaos erupted said. “I need to see the film to comment or have any definitive thoughts on exactly why or how it got started, because to be honest with you I don’t have any idea about that.”

The Big 12 Conference will have harsh penalties for all the players involved in this brawl. The Kansas cheerleaders, along with security and police, helped separate the two teams before things got worse.

Several players could be facing a multi-game suspension for their actions.

“It should have been avoided,” Wildcats head coach Bruce Weber said. “It’s my guys, it’s my fault. They came here wanting to have a game, compete, and we didn’t compete the way we needed to, and probably a little frustration, especially the young guys.”

A brawl happened on Saturday between the Saint Francis (Pa.) Red Flash and the Sacred Heart Pioneers basketball teams in Loretta, Pennsylvania. According to The Tribune-Democrat, the brawl started during the hand shake line when Sacred Heart’s Koreem Ozier shoved Saint Francis’ Keith Braxton.

Things then escalated from there between the two teams.

“Obviously it’s an embarrassment,” Self said. “It’s not something to be proud of. What happened showed zero signs of toughness. It’s a sign of immaturity and selfishness more so than toughness. If I was a fan watching, depending on your perspective, there would be nothing about that intriguing me to watch more.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.