By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
The Hulk is throwing around his power on the first day of the 2020 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Season. Matt Hagan is the provisional No. 1 qualifier in Funny Car on Friday at the Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals presented by ProtectTheHarvest.com.
Hagan went 3.867 at 331.20 mph at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona in Pomona, California. If the time holds on in his MOPAR/Pennzoil/Sandvik Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat, it’ll be his 37th No. 1 qualifier of his career.
Also, it’ll be his fifth No. 1 qualifier of his career at Auto Club Raceway if it sticks.
“There’s a lot of confidence unloading off the trailer like that in Q1 and being able to run a good number,” Hagan, a two-time Funny Car world champion, said. “We had a great test session in Vegas and laid down some good numbers. The last day of testing, we went 88, 87, 86, and 83; really laid down some real numbers. The car’s working well, it’s driving really well, and the guys are working well together. All in all, I think we have a really good car, everybody is confident.
“The whole Pomona facility is kind of majestic. There’s a lot of magic that happens here. Champions are crowned here. We start and finish (the season) here. We’ve always done really well here and have a lot of confidence rolling into the year, but this Mopar Funny Car is flying right now, and I’m just trying to hang on to it.”
Here is the Friday, February 7th Provisional Funny Car Ladder:
- Matt Hagan — 3.867, 331.20 mph
- Jack Beckman — 3.868, 326.95 mph
- Robert Hight — 3.885, 330.31 mph
- Tommy Johnson Jr. — 3.905, 318.02 mph
- Paul Lee — 3.910, 332.92 mph
- J.R. Todd — 3.914, 327.11 mph
- Tim Wilkerson — 3.918, 322.96 mph
- Ron Capps — 3.947, 324.12 mph
- Alexis DeJoria — 3.983, 325.37 mph
- Bob Bode — 3.984, 320.89 mph
- John Force — 4.130, 302.28 mph
- Bob Tasca III — 4.182, 233.96 mph
- Steven Densham — 4.361, 205.35 mph
- Alex Miladinovich — 4.554, 246.71 mph
- Jim Campbell — 4.930, 173.76 mph
- Cruz Pedregon — 10.951, 75.01 mph