By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher
Stephen A. Smith, the loud-mouth millionaire and co-host of ESPN’s First Take, said that Steve Nash’s hire by the Brooklyn Nets was white privilege. He said that no black coach could be hired with no prior experience.
However, if he would have checked first, he would not have made such an erroneous statement. He claimed that it was one of the toughest positions that he had to make on the show.
Employers are going to hire, who they chose to hire, regardless of race. They are going to hire the person, who they believe will be best for the job.
There are black coaches, who have struggled to find head coaching jobs in the NBA, like Patrick Ewing and Sam Cassell. Ewing had to return to his alma mater at Georgetown to get a head coaching job.
Smith, who is black, is catering to the current unrest in the country following police incidents, where blacks were killed. ESPN has since been catering to Black Lives Matter, like other companies, since the George Floyd death in May.
They continue to run social justice commercials on their airwaves and TV shows. This caters to the Democrats and the Liberals.
The Republicans; however, do not believe in the Black Lives Matter movement. In fact, BLM and Antifa have been destroying property during protests around the country.
There’s actually numerous stories and videos from Republicans that claim that BLM is a leftist lie. In fact, there’s even blacks, who call BLM a lie, on the Internet for those seeking them.
Well, Stephen A., you were dead wrong here, as history shows.
Black coaches were previously hired with no prior coaching experience. Do your research next time. We did it for you.
We’ll even show you a few examples:
- Magic Johnson, who is black, had no prior coaching experience when he was hired by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1994 as interim head coach. The Lakers fired Randy Pfund, who was replaced by Bill Bertka, who lasted two days, before Johnson took over for the final 16 games.
- Isiah Thomas, who is black, had no prior coaching experience when he was hired by the Indiana Pacers, as their head coach in 2000, replacing Larry Bird. Before being named the Pacers leader, he owned part ownership of the Toronto Raptors and a CBA team.
- Doc Rivers, who is black, had no prior coaching experience when he was hired as the Orlando Magic head coach in 1999. He last played in the NBA in 1996, then was hired by the Magic as their bench leader.
- Mark Jackson, who is black, had no prior coaching experience when he was hired by the Golden State Warriors in 2011. In fact, before being hired by the Warriors as their head coach, Jackson was a broadcaster for the YES Network.
- Jason Kidd, who is mixed race, as his father, Steve, is black, while his mother Anne is an Irish-American, had no prior coaching experience when he was hired by the Nets in 2013. He went from ending his playing career with the New York Knicks to being the head coach of the Nets in several weeks.
- Derek Fisher, who is black, had no prior coaching experience when he was hired by the New York Knicks as their head coach. In fact, he was just weeks removed from his playing career when Phil Jackson hired him as his new head coach in 2014.