Saturday, May 18, 2024

Spotlight: Boxer Ed Sanders

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher

In this spotlight story, we’ll look back on the career of former professional boxer Ed “Big Ed” Sanders. He passed away on December 12, 1954, at the age of 24.

Sanders attended Jordan High School in Los Angeles, California, before attending Compton College. While at Compton College, Sanders excelled at both football at boxing.

Boxing Gloves
Boxing Gloves (Photo by Pixabay)

Following an event at the National Junior College Boxing Championships in Ogden, Utah, he received an opportunity in the form of an athletic scholarship to attend Idaho State College. The school is now known as Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho.

READ MORE: Click here for our latest Combat Sports coverage.

At Idaho State, he played football and competed in boxing. He defeated the Pacific Coast Heavyweight Champion in his very first college bout.

He never lost a dual meet during his collegiate experience at the school.

After college, he was then drafted into the U.S. Army to fight in the Korean War. His coaches reportedly wanted him to join the Navy instead.

He elected to attend the Navy, where he joined the U.S. Navy Boxing Team. He defeated several fighters, including then Navy Heavyweight Champion Kirby Seals, in San Diego, California.

READ MORE: Click here for our latest Spotlight coverage.

He also won the Los Angeles Golden Gloves and Chicago Golden Gloves tournament. The Golden Gloves tournament then took him to Berlin, Germany, where he won another Golden Gloves tournament.

After his tenure in the military, he then competed to be an Olympian. As an Olympian, he defeated his first three opponents.

He then fights Ingemar Johansson in the final bout. Johansson was disqualified for failure to fight.

Johansson then was rushed out of the ring with assistance from police officers and he refused to accept a silver medal. Sanders then became the first African American Olympic Heavyweight Champion.

READ MORE: Click here for our latest Death coverage.

In addition, he was also the first American to win the gold medal as a boxer in the division since 1904. Following his Olympic win, he had to wait due to his Naval duties to pursue a professional career.

He faced a lot of pressure by turning pro, both from the boxing community and from the media. He also needed to support his wife Mary and his son Russell.

He turn pro in February 1953 and also reportedly served as his own manager to satisfy his Naval requirements. As a professional boxer, he went 6-2-1.

He also had three knockouts. Sanders knocked out his first three opponents, knocking out Sonny Nichols, Billy Booker, and Henry Anderson.

Sanders’s first loss came against Willie Wilson in a unanimous decision at the Boston Garden. He rebounded with wins over Jack Flood and revenged his first loss with a split decision win over Wilson.

He also had a draw with Bert Whitehurst, before defeating Whitehurst by unanimous decision. His final bout, which was for the USA New England Heavyweight title, was a knockout loss to Willie James.

Late in the fight with James, he lost consciousness, before receiving assistance from the ring personnel. They carried him out on a stretcher.

Sanders never recovered and died following surgery by medical personnel to relieve the pressure on his brain. He reportedly aggravated a previous injury during the fight.

He was buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Santa Monica, California.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Follow Us on Social Media:

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Telegram, Tumblr, and YouTube

Keep Independent Journalism Alive! Ad-free experience and Exclusive Premium-plus content.

Join our Paid Substack for additional content for $10 per month. This is ad-free content. We believe that what you read matters and great writing is valuable. Through Substack, writers can flourish by being paid directly by their readers.

Report a Correction or Typo

© 2007-2024 The Capital Sports Report. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcasted, rewritten, or redistributed.

Anthony Caruso III
Anthony Caruso III
Anthony Caruso III is the Publisher of The Capital Sports Report. He has been in the Journalism field since August 2002. Since that time, Mr. Caruso has covered many marquee events. This includes 13 Heisman Trophy ceremonies, 2 Little World Series events, and one Army-Navy College Football game.
Latest news
Related news